Comfort food – food that provides a sense of well being; typically associated with childhood memories or good old-fashioned home cooking!
With less than 3 weeks till we hit the road again, I find myself feeling very stressed! And to anyone who truly knows me, this can lead to stress eating!
I find myself craving comfort foods… my favorite happens to be mashed potatoes and gravy!
There’s nothing more enjoyable than the creamy smoothness of a great bowl of mashed potatoes and gravy! That warm fuzzy feeling you get as you enjoy the taste of the gravy… and every once in a while, finding that delicious lump of real potato!
If you’ve ever made mashed potatoes from scratch, you know exactly what I mean!
But sometimes, in this busy world we live in, making mashed potatoes from scratch is not an option! So, once again, I dug into my pantry of freeze-dried canned goods to make this oh-so-delicious meal of mashed potatoes and pulled pork gravy!
Mashed Potatoes and Pulled Pork Gravy
What your need for the potatoes:
- 1/4 cup freeze-dried green onions
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. freeze-dried sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups freeze-dried mashed potatoes
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
And for the pulled pork gravy:
- 1 cup freezed-dried pulled pork
- 2 packets brown gravy mix (or 1 cup Espagnole (Savory Beef Gravy)
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. butter
Let’s put it all together:
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add green onions, salt and butter, Quickly whisk in sour cream and mashed potatoes.
- Remove from heat and stir in black pepper.
- In another small saucepan, melt butter and stir in pulled pork. Add gravy powder, water and whisk. Allow gravy to simmer until it thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Scoop mashed potatoes into a small bowl and pour gravy over the top.
This savory dish is great for lunch or dinner or any time you crave a delicious comfort food meal! It only takes about 20 minutes to make using the freeze-dried foods found here!
Until next time,
Peace, love and safe travels!
And as always, thanks for using the links in the posts! We earn a small commission at no extra cost to you! We thank you for your support!