Lately, I’ve had a hankerin’ for some spaghetti, but our container garden has yet to bring in enough tomatoes to make my favorite recipe! So once again, I am experimenting with the freeze-dried foods in my pantry!
I prefer a thicker sauce… and, when I want to bulk it up, I add in some of my favorite veggies! The usual peppers and onions can be find in my recipe, but I will sometimes add in carrots as well! Got to get my veggies in!
This particularly satisfying recipe includes ground beef! Making this dish so thick and hearty! But if you don’t do meat, simply leave it out!
The farm stand where I usually get my meats isn’t open today, but I just so happen to have some freeze-dried ground beef on hand in my pantry!
I really love this recipe because it’s so quick and easy, and kid-friendly to boot! You can spread this sauce over your favorite pasta… use it in lasagna… or simply dip your favorite crusty garlic bread into this tasty sauce!
Thick & Hearty Tomato Sauce
Here’s what you need:
- 1 cup freeze-dried ground beef
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried mushroom pieces
- 1/4 cup freeze dried chopped onions
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried tomato dices
- 1 cup tomato powder
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup beef broth (you can find my homemade chicken bone broth here, just change out the chicken bones and use beef bones instead)
- 2 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Let’s put it all together!
- First, heat a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat with a small amount of oil.
- Briefly sauté’ the ground beef, mushrooms and onions. (remember, I am using freeze-dried foods from my pantry, so this part doesn’t take long)
- Add water and beef broth.
- Slowly whisk in the tomato powder then add in the tomato dices, and seasonings.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour onto your favorite pasta and serve!
There you have it! A great dish that is easy to make for the kids, and for the whole family!
Okay, eat now, talk later!
Until next time,
Peace, love and safe travels!
(Thank you for using my affiliate links. I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you! Mom and I appreciate your support! ❤)